What does a copywriter do?
Writes compelling copy, of course. Copy that flows, with flawless grammar and punctuation. But that’s just a small part of what copywriters do. We understand different demographics and tribes, get into their heads, learn their lingo. We know marketing, PR, social media and every other type of media in a rapidly-changing digital landscape. We observe trends and popular culture, and know the difference between native advertising and sponsored content.
The most valuable copywriters are naturally curious about the world and travel widely. We’re passionate about art in all its forms so we see it and feel it and hear it and soak it up as much as we can. We know a great idea or successful strategy isn’t just about words.
Some of the work I’ve done for these clients and agencies has involved writing copy. Some of it has involved branding, concept development, marketing strategy, IA, social media, developing copy style guides and other fun stuff. Get in touch if you’d like to see my folio.
Clients and brands
- St Kilda Summer Jazz festival 2016
- Lime & Soda Events
- Medibank Private Ltd
- Tweed Foodie Festival
- Taphouse Hotel Group
- National Australia Bank (NAB)
- Pearson Trueman & Associates
- ASAP Skin Products
- Sydney Philharmonia Choirs
- Art Series Hotels (The Olsen)
- Baker Kavanagh Architects (The Mill Residences)
Australian advertising/marketing/digital agencies and brands
- DDB/RAPP, Melbourne: Porsche, AAMI, Apia, Maxwell & Williams
- Hardwire Agency, Melbourne: Hesta, REI Super, HostPlus.
- The Bridge, Melbourne: NAB (corporate responsibility collateral).
- Clemenger BBDO, Brisbane: Cornerstone, Investa, Pamada (branding for property developments).
- 30Thirty Integrated Marketing, Sydney: Seniors Insurance.
- Relax Design, Sydney: Australian Wool Innovation, Purely Merino.
- CumminsNitro/SapientNitro, Brisbane: Velocity, Sunshine Coast Tourism, Personalised Plates Queensland, Stockland, Virgin Blue, Cenovis.
- Gallery Group, Brisbane: Queensland Health, Gold Coast Blaze (basketball team), various property developments.
- Totem Communications, Sydney: DHL, Discovery 1770/Agnes Waters, CBA Agribusiness, Totem website.
- JWT, Melbourne: Ford, Shell, Blockbuster Video.
- M&C Saatchi, Melbourne: Hewlitt Packard, Bush Heritage, ANZ.
- Wednesday Media, Melbourne: Carlton Draught website.
- E-DM/Lucy Ashley, Melbourne: World Vision, Australian Bush Heritage, PMP Print, Lanier.
- MercerBell, Sydney: Landrover Freelander, TD Waterhouse.
- Bond Direct (George Patterson), Sydney: Optus Mobile, Polaroid, Avis, The Starlight Foundation, National Parks & Wildlife Foundation, Diabetes Association.
- Clemenger Direct, Melbourne: Australia Post Philatelic, Flag-Inns, Myer Direct.
London advertising/marketing/digital agencies and brands
- Digitas: Saab, Web Services, Royal Bank of Scotland.
- Euro RSCG Circle: Budweiser, British Tourism Authority, Peugot.
- 141 Communications/Bates: Scotchguard, Superdrug.
- Grey Interactive: Red Bus Films2, Smith Kline Beecham.
- Black Cat: Cable & Wireless, Air Miles.
- Brann London: Emirates.
- Wunderman Cato Johnson: Star Alliance, Adobe, Ford.
- Evans Hunt Scott: Vodafone, Ionica (telco), Tesco Direct, British Gas.
- TBWA/Payne Stracey: British Telecom, Nissan, Advanta, Weight Watchers.
- Barraclough Hall Woolston Gray: British Telecom, Thomas Cook Cruise Direct.
- Tullo Marshall Warren: Mercury mobile, Shell.
- Smith Bundy/Smith Bundy Carlson (Joint Creative Director, Senior Copywriter): Sight Savers International, WWF, Mental Health Foundation, ChildLine, UNICEF.
- Option One: Orange mobile.
- Carlson Marketing: British Airways Executive Club.
- Euro RSCG Direct: PetPlan insurance, Daewoo, Royal Doulton/Lawleys.
It’s the beginning of the Queen’s Birthday long weekend and I’m reminded of my incredible life in London in the 90s, when “Cool Britannia” was the catch-cry and I was in the thick of what was, arguably, the coolest city in the world, in a pre-terrorism era...